Now this might seem kind of a no brainer, but as they saying goes. Common sense isn’t always so common. Many of the preventive methods are actually taught to us when we prepare to get our license, or simply when we are young. Not following these guidelines is often one of the main causes for avoidable accidents.
When you do get into an accident, don’t delay in getting the proper help. Seek the assistance of a local accident attorney, and make sure that you contact the police. They can assess the damage and provide you with an official report on what happened or you can simply get it from accidentreports.com as your insurance will definitely need it.
Preventive Measures to Help Avoid Accidents in Texas
Without further ado, let’s get into the preventive measures:
1) Always be aware of your surroundings:
Pay attention to other vehicles, road signs, and traffic signals. Don’t let yourself be distracted by cell phone use or conversations with passengers while you are driving
2) Drive defensively:
Many accidents occur because someone didn’t anticipate another driver’s actions. Be sure to always give the right-of-way and yield for others appropriately.
3) Follow speed limits:
Speeding is one of the main causes of accidents in Texas. Make sure you follow speed limits at all times to ensure everyone’s safety on the roads.
4) Use turn signals correctly:
This might seem like a minor detail, but not using your turn signals correctly can be very dangerous. Make sure to always use them when you’re changing lanes or turning.
5) Avoid alcohol and drugs:
The legal blood alcohol limit in Texas is .08. Never get behind the wheel of a car if you are under the influence of any kind of substance, as it significantly increases your chances of getting into an accident.
6) Be prepared for bad weather:
Texas is known for its unpredictable weather. If you know there might be storms or hail on the horizon, take extra precaution by driving slower and being more mindful about your surroundings.
7) Get regular check-ups for your car:
Making sure that all the parts of your car are in good condition is an important part of driving safely. Make sure to take your car into the shop or mechanic regularly to make sure everything’s running smoothly.
Additional Things to Keep in Mind When Driving
The following are also important to remember:
1. Wear Your Seat Belt – Wearing a seat belt is the law in Texas, but even if it weren’t, it should be a no-brainer to wear one while you’re in the car. Seat belts are proven to drastically reduce the number of injuries and fatalities in accidents.
2. Follow Traffic Laws – Following traffic laws is another way to avoid getting into an accident in Texas. Obey speed limits, use turn signals when turning or changing lanes, and never drive while distracted (no texting or talking on the phone). It sounds simple, but obeying traffic laws can help keep you and other drivers safe on the roads.
3. Watch for Wildlife – One of the dangers that comes with driving in Texas is encountering wildlife on the road. This could be anything from deer to armadillos and even snakes! If you see an animal crossing your path, slow down and be prepared to stop if necessary.
4. Plan Ahead – Make sure to plan your trip ahead of time so that you’re not rushing or trying to make up time while driving. If traffic gets heavy, adjust your speed accordingly and leave yourself extra time in case of delays.
Accidents in Texas can occur at any time, but with a little bit of extra caution and awareness, you can do your part to help reduce their occurrence. Be sure to follow the preventive measures listed above and remember that when it doubt, slow down! By doing so, you’ll be helping keep the roads safe for everyone.