The best keyless deadbolts offer excellent security and allow homeowners to set customizable codes to suit their needs. This kind of hardware comes in a variety of finishes and shapes to suit any decor, and you can find one here at https://www.designtheoryhw.com/ to fit any budget. Many of these devices require a battery to operate but are often very easy to install with minimal tools.
Many leading brands now offer several different types of keyless deadbolts, and some come with fancy features like fingerprint recognition and countermeasures to protect against break-ins. Most of these keyless deadbolts also fit doors that vary in thickness and are adjustable to fit the door and door jam properly.
1. Best Budget Option: Kwikset Contemporary Electronic Keypad
The Kwikset Contemporary Electronic Keypad features a motorized deadbolt and locking that activates with a single touch. This unit uses batteries to run the motor, and there’s a low battery indicator to let you know when it’s time to change the batteries.
This unit installs with just a screwdriver and is appropriate for exterior doors where extra security is needed. Users can customize how quickly the door locks after closing and the options range from ten to ninety-nine seconds in length if you decide to use that feature.
This deadbolt also allows the user to set up to six fully customizable codes and some temporary codes that are valid for single use. These single-use codes are ideal for visitors, or those providing a service.
- Stylish brushed metal exterior
- Easy to install with just a screwdriver
- Single touch locking and customizable codes
- The latching mechanism is adjustable to fit all doors
- Allows for six customizable codes
- The keypad is a little large
- Requires batteries to operate
2. Smartest Controls: ZKTeco Fingerprint Door Lock Deadbolt
The ZKTeco Fingerprint Door Lock Deadbolt is one of the best keyless deadbolts for those who want the option to use fingerprint scanning instead of entering a code. This sleek device has clearly labeled markings on the inside, so you know when it’s locked or unlocked, and the keypad can identify your fingerprint in under a second.
This keyless deadbolt comes with an app called the ZK SmartKey App that is available for both Android and iOS. There is also an auto-lock option that locks the door after twenty seconds have passed since it operated. The enhanced security from the app also ensures that a user can enter a password on their phone to unlock the door and add on random numbers to obscure their password.
This deadbolt can also support multiple users and allows single-use passwords for specific periods. It is also possible to set a temporary password for visitors and use special cards for gaining entry.
- Several ways to gain entry while maintaining the security
- Pairs with an app and your Smartphone
- Sleek exterior and reinforced housing and locks
- Easy to install and use with up to 100 users
- Requires that you use the app to take advantage of all of the features
- Needs a battery to operate
3. Best Basic Option: Kwikset Value Lock Electronic Keypad
The Kwikset Value Lock Electronic Keypad is one of the best keyless deadbolts for users in search of a simple unit with minimal buttons. This unit pairs with a standard looking internal knob on the inside and comes in three finishes: bronze, satin nickel, and polished bronze.
This deadbolt has only six buttons and can work in combination with any door handle of your choosing. The lock on this deadbolt provides Grade 3 security and can hold up to four different codes for users. You won’t need a key for this deadbolt at all, but it does require batteries to operate. When the batteries run low, there is a 9V battery backup.
- Lifetime warranty on the finish, one year on the electronics
- Easily installs with a screwdriver
- Key free lock that’s resistant to picking and bumping
- Stores up to four unique user codes
- No remote locking capabilities
- Deadbolt exterior and interior are different finishes
4. Most Stylish: Kwikset 909 SmartCode Electronic Deadbolt
The Kwikset 909 SmartCode Electronic Deadbolt is one of the best keyless deadbolts for those that want one-touch locking, a backlit keypad, and customizable access codes. With all of these features, this electronic deadbolt is an excellent option for authorized service personnel or visitors to enter your home with their own code.
This deadbolt is also adjustable to fit any door between 2 ⅜ inches and 2 ¾ inches. This unit comes in Venetian bronze, satin nickel, and polished brass. There is also an option to lock this deadbolt using the auto-lock feature, which you can set to kick in at a specific time. This lock also allows for eight user codes at any given time and is BHMA Grade 2.
- Three finishes
- Backlit keypad
- Holds up to eight customizable codes
- Easy to install and detailed directions are included in the User manual
- Interior components constructed from plastic and not metal like the exterior piece
- Keyless entry system can be finicky for users
5. Best Minimalist Option: Kwikset Powerbolt 2 Door Lock
The Kwikset Powerbolt 2 Door Lock comes in satin nickel, Venetian bronze, and polished brass and is easily installed with a screwdriver. The keypad features a total of six buttons, which makes it easy to use, and the interior has a minimalist design to blend in with any decor.
This device has Smart Key Security to help prevent break-ins while also allowing users to re-key their locks independently. This door lock is ANSI/BHMA certified as Grade 3 for security, finish, and overall durability and is fully adjustable for a variety of door thicknesses. This device comes with a lifetime finish and mechanical warranty and a one year warranty for the electronic components.
- Available in three finishes
- Customize how soon the door locks after you enter
- Advanced countermeasures against break-ins
- Reasonably sized for most doors
- Requires four AA batteries for operation
- Some components are plastic and less durable
6. Best All-In-One: Kwikset SmartCode 917 Keypad
The Kwikset SmartCode 917 Keypad features a contemporary design and comes several finishes, including satin nickel, Venetian bronze, polished chrome, and black. This door lock includes the handle as part of the unit and allows for up to thirty different user codes to be customized. There are also one-time user codes you can set, and the door handle lever is reversible.
This unit is easy to install, and there are several entry modes: Disable passage, Passage, and Auto-Lock. There’s no key required, but this lock does have an entry point for a key as a backup. The battery life can last up to three years, and it requires a 9V battery to operate, which comes in the package.
There is also a version of this lock that is the traditional design, which features a curved handle and keypad with beveled edges. This door lock is ideal for locations where it will be out of the elements as it’s not rated for exterior use, but it’s perfect for side doors, garage doors, home offices, and rental properties.
- Available in a variety of finishes
- Two design options: Contemporary and Traditional
- BHMA certified as the highest residential security available
- Very durable finish and hardware featuring metal components
- Users can re-key the lock themselves whenever it’s needed
- No companion app available
- Not for outdoor use where it’s exposed to the elements
7. Best WiFi Enabled Option: Schlage Encode Smart WiFi Deadbolt
The Schlage Encode Smart WiFi Deadbolt is available as the lock only or as a bundle with a third-generation Echo Dot. The keypad comes in two shapes called Century and Camelot. Century is more square, and Camelot features added details and a unique shape with rounded edges. Both design options come in finishes such as satin nickel, matte black, and aged bronze.
This door is WiFi-enabled, which allows you to manage the lock using the handy Amazon Key app that is compatible with both Android and iOS smartphones. Both styles of lock have an entry point for a physical key, so you don’t have to worry about being locked out if the battery dies on this device.
When users connect to the app and make adjustments to the lock, they can create and customize up to 100 individual codes, view the activity log, and customize what notifications are received. This lock also works with Alexa, Google Assistant, and Ring when you use the Amazon Key app so you can visually monitor your home from wherever you are at the time
- Very easy to install
- Low battery indicator
- Voice control enables when paired with Alexa
- Built-in alarm and WiFi
- Manage trusted users, customized codes, and notification preferences from anywhere that you have WiFi
- Requires batteries to operate
- Far fewer functions if you choose not to use the Amazon Key app on your phone