For many companies, it is still important that employees come to the office or are within quick reach. The problem is that not all suitable candidates for the most difficult positions live in the same city as you. What to do? You can offer the candidate a relocation to your locality. Haven’t encountered this yet? Then read this article to the end. We have sorted out the basic rules and possible problems.
To start with, juridical aspects are perhaps the most crucial ones. To avoid any types of lawyer issues that may occur, find out all the points in the employment legislation of the country, which you are considering with relocation. You can hire a separate lawyer or an agency providing a full range of complex lawyer services. A rental dispute lawyer can be hired to avoid any issues with real estate.
Let’s analyze the pros and cons of the relocation.
Let’s start with a good one. Corporate relocations provide an opportunity to assemble a dream team. If you transport a new employee to a city with great opportunities, his loyalty to the company will immediately increase. He will last longer in the state and maintain the efficiency of work.
Now consider the cons. The relocation is expensive. Just asking a person to leave their place is not the best start to a relationship. Therefore, the employer will have to spend significantly on moving and the first time in the employee’s life.
The main difficulties are hidden in psychological adaptation. The company’s management needs to understand that such moves are a cardinal change in the situation. That is, serious stress for a beginner, even if he does not talk about it.
Who exactly should be offered a relocation?
• Top management.
• Heads of departments.
• For narrow-profile IT specialists.
These people have a unique set of skills. The initial costs and more expensive adaptation will turn into really profitable investments for the company.
How can a company organize an employee’s relocation?
The process of relocation is complex and quite lengthy. Think through each stage so that everything goes as smoothly as possible. To begin with, you need to motivate the candidate to move.
Money does not always play a decisive role. Show photos of the office space, and the team. That is, how work and career will change qualitatively. Tell us about the importance of your role in the new place. Make it so that the person already in the head was pleased to feel there.
Start with a properly designed paper invitation. Of course, you will discuss everything verbally several times in advance, but it is easier for an employee to decide to move with a paper in his hands.
You help an employee move, and for this you need:
• Tickets — train or plane, one person or the whole family, baggage transportation and its volume. All this needs to be found out in advance.
• Housing is a blessing that there are enough realtor sites now. You can agree on a suitable option online. It is better to personally check the condition of the housing and make a payment.
• This is a basic set, but there are nuances. If the employee has children, try to find accommodation near a school or kindergarten. If possible, try to offer a new job option for the wife/husband of the transported person. Medical insurance is valued separately.
Why all this? The goal is to remove all possible headaches from the employee. The calmer the move will be given to him, the faster he will be able to fully perform the assigned functions.
What should you do after the relocation?
Simply transporting a person is not enough. We need to help him adapt to the new conditions as quickly as possible. What will help:
• The correct welcome box (how to assemble it, read here).
• Sincere acquaintance with the team. It is better to additionally make a list of important names, positions, and contacts.
• Take a tour of the office and the surrounding area. Perhaps there is an interesting coffee shop or snack bar nearby.
• It will be ideal if you take the employee around the new area where his apartment is located. It’s worth at least just offering to do it. If he refuses, he will simply remember that even with such a trifle they are ready to help him. You can replace this with a list of important places in the district with their addresses (shops, pharmacies, entertainment, etc.).
Relocation is a good tool, but you need to use it selectively. It will take HR a lot of time and energy (one CEO’s explanation of the need to relocate is worth it), but it will help close the most difficult and important positions. Perhaps this is the practice that your company lacked for rapid growth.