Smokeless tobacco is a novel way to enjoy the rich taste and aroma without creating a nuisance for others. But many people do not have access to good chewing tobacco. So, they turn to chewing tobacco alternatives. But why try the alternatives when you can make your own?
All you need to do is grow your tobacco plant, maintain its health and then dry the leaves for further processing. You got to preserve the flavor and aroma. You should have a keen understanding of what kind of additive will impart a nice taste to it.
So, we thought, why not share an awesome DIY smokeless tobacco recipe!
DIY Smokeless Tobacco Recipe
1. Harvest the leaves: As soon as you notice that the tobacco plant has started to bloom, pinch off all the leaves.
2. Cure the leaves: Drying is an important part of making your tobacco recipe. Take a thin wire and pierce it through the base of the tobacco leaves. Now hang it in a place that is dry, warm, and receives maximum sunlight. Make sure to keep the leaves spaced at least 1 inch apart.
Also, take care that it does not come in contact with water. When you notice that the leaves have turned light to medium brown, take them down. This usually takes 2-3 months.
3. Shredding the leaves: There are many ways in which you can shred the leaves. You can use a normal blender, chopper, or shredder. Just make sure that your leaves are properly cured and do not make it too fine. You will lose tobacco leaves as dust if you shred too fine.
4. Blending the flavor: This is the trickiest part. People have different flavor preferences like apple, mint, cinnamon, and even sugar-free. The basic process is however the same. Here are the steps:
- Make the base sauce. It is usually made from apple juice, molasses, honey, or plain sugar. Many people who wish to cut down on their sugar consumption use licorice root and xylitol. Heat the juice in the saucepan and stir till it is a thick paste.
- Add the flavoring essential oil. Always make sure to use the highest quality food-grade flavoring agent.
- Once your sauce is ready, put the shredded tobacco leaves into it.
- Mix the leaves properly into the sauce. Make sure that each leaf gets coated with the sauce. Do not overcrowd the saucepan or you will be left with flavorless chewing tobacco.
- Transfer the mixture to a tray to cool it down.
- Once it cools, store it in an airtight jar or pack it in vacuum-sealed pouches.
Tobacco consumption is one of the oldest habits of humans. Even though numerous bands are selling chewing tobacco, you get to customize it according to your taste when you make it on your own. Do not shy away from trying different recipes and flavors. And if you have friends and family who love chewing tobacco, they can be a wonderful gift!